Claremont is a small town on the eastern edge of Catawba county and bordered by the Catawba River and Iredell County. Claremont is home to 1,350 people and is roughly 2.5 sq miles in size. The extended Claremont area although small in size does contain two of Catawba Counties most important Historica Sites. Murrays Mill to the South and the Bunker Hill Covered bridge to the east. Murrays Mill is one of the oldest functioning Corn Mills still in existence in North Carolina. The original 1913 mill as well as several other historic buildings still stand on the property along the banks of Balls Creek. The technology of those times has long since become antiquated and the mill closed for commercial operations in 1967 but annual festivals still give crowds of today a taste of yesteryear.
The Bunker Hill covered bridge which loans its name to the nearby high school was designated as a National Civil Engineering Landmark in 2001. Built in 1895 along an old Indian trading path the bridge is one of only 2 wooden covered bridges remaining in North Carolina. More in depth information is available about both locations at the Catawba County Historical Associations homepage